Sunday, July 31, 2011

Animals of the Bible - 2007 Animals of the Bible


Band : Animals of the Bible
Album : Animals of the Bible
Release Year : 2007
  Genre : Post-Punk | Electronic | Experimental

 Tracklist :
 01 Holiday
02 Electric Mistake
03 I.Hate.Ewe
04 Shockandahhhh
05 Momsthenewdad
06 Dadsthenewmom
07 Chase That Dragon
08 Dance Trash Dance
09 Kuffs

The 9 tracks come out, at first, like a panic attack: tense, urgent, and all at once. then somewhere unexpectedly around the middle it was like someone took a bar and everything slowed down. It took me a while the realize that, since the band broke up in early 2006, this whole album was written in the crazy, wacky world of post 9-/11 national PTSD. Once that realization hit me it all made sense. This album is the the perfect description of how the first five years of war felt for me and I'm sure many other young people growing up through all the bullshit. Even though, to this day, I can't understand a single fucking word being said (and I'm almost certain the lyrics aren't political in nature) the emotive tone of the vocals can almost tell the story of a PTSD Vet, coming home and winding up at BAMC or Medical Center.

Over the course of the album the band starts a little cold and as the music begins everything is just a tiny bit off beat. But as AOTB progress's throughout the set everything gets tighter and groovier. We begin to hear the Synth alternating skillfully between being a lead and a droning background instrument. What appears to be an Alesis Micron creates, between tracks, surreal and almost disquieting interludes that are perfect breaks between the freneticism of most of the tracks and by the end we are left entirely exhausted.

(Ultimately, I suppose, the music sounds as though Reader had sex with Make Your Own Maps…. actually, That's exactly what it sounds like…. Period…. Fuck everything else I just said.)

Animals of the Bible was always a bundle of questions. An artifact from before the times of Pinata Protest and Pop Pistol, from before Lisa Frank and Gloam and Ecocide, from before Deer Vibes and Viet-Ruse. From before I was around I guess. I'm sure some of you know the story of AOTB, I'm sure some of you know them personally and you might find this short term nostalgia humorous. But I think this is the most important part of music. The memories we attach to a song or an album, to the moment of first experiencing. It's something that will always be evoked when you go back to it.

I'm not sure. For me Animals of The Bible will always be: A 40oz. Old English in 2007, Leaning about what happened in New York from Texas -6th grade -spanish class, Punk that inspires, the language of our children and all that other lame ass shit. And I think, that it will always be much more fun that way.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment