Monday, December 20, 2010

Eleventh He Reaches London - 2009 Hollow Be My Name


Band : Eleventh He Reaches London
Album : Hollow Be My Name
Release Year : 2009
Genre : Post-Hardcore / Post-Rock /Artcore / Experimental

Tracklist:
1. Hollow Be My Name
2. Britain and Structure
3. I Am The Bearer, I Stand In Need
4. Son, You're Almost An Orphan
5. Oh, Brother
6. Gaze To The North
7. Toorali
8. Hill Of Grace
9. Girt By Piss
10. Death is My Holiday
11. For the Commonwealth and the Queen

Taking on the concept of colonial Australia, Hollow Be My Name gives the band vessel to express their loathing for systemized Australia and figures of authority in general. The seething vocals of Ian Lenton in the brilliant title track and first single, "I'm allowed to curse him, If he's the one that built me, I'm allowed to use his ***ing name in vein" are some of the most hateful lines put to CD this side of the equator, producing an album highlight. ‘I Am the Bearer, I stand In Need’ is another astounding track, traversing a large amount of genres in its nine minutes. Beginning with the now familiar rasping of Lenton’s vocals and a laidback guitar line, however this is just the calm before the storm. All three heavily distorted guitars come in for the second half of the track, backed by the thunderous rhythm section (Luke Pollard – bass and Mark Donaldson – Drums), further emphasising Lenton’s screams. The result is a work of art that manages to channel Modest Mouse, Neurosis and Johnny Cash, while at the same time remain entirely unique.
Over the course of an hour, Hollow Be My Name cements itself as one of the best albums to have come out of Australia in recent times, being both lyrically and musically brilliant throughout. Given more exposure, this will go down as one of the most original and daring alternative records in Australian music, it is beyond epic.


No comments:

Post a Comment